Sunday 20 May 2018

Helping Without Hurting Part 1

I am the queen of the quick fix. Whether it has been health, projects, work, house-cleaning, my aim is to do get it done quickly and thoroughly. Unfortunately, these two things are often not mutually exclusive.

I have also been called well-intentioned many a time. I once had a coworker say, after becoming frustrated with me for taking (what I thought was my delegated task) into my own hands: "I've realized, after some reflection, that you're very well-meaning." While I'm glad he saw my heart behind my service, we all know the highway to hell that this habit proverbially builds.

So, what does a compassionate, servant-hearted, typical Robinson want to do when she's thrown in the midst of a developing country, people who continuously tell her they want to come to Canada, and financial problems that seem insurmountable? She listens. And she says things like, "I really hope that happens too. I'm praying for you."

And why, you may ask, does she not immediately dole out cash to every single problem she sees and hears? Because she's reading through a book called, "When Helping Hurts" and she's reflecting on her own brokenness as a white North American and realizing that throwing a quick band-aid fix on others' problems isn't actually going to be part of the solution.

Yes, her skin may crawl, sitting and listening to stories of people who give away everything, go without food, and help those who can't meet their basic needs. But, she's learning something in the process: money has caused far more complex problems around the world when it has been valued as the saviour or thrown at a problem without any research.

Since being in Kenya, there are three things people will commonly say to me: "Welcome to Kenya. My name is ________ and you are very welcome here. I really want to go to Canada." If it doesn't happen in the first three sentences, it comes up in conversation very quickly. I have actually only one friend who has never mentioned this to me and I'm a bit in awe of him for it. I often feel immobilized when hearing this, because my gosh, am I ever aware of what a privilege it is to be able to travel, live, and volunteer overseas. I had absolutely nothing to do with where I was born in the world, the opportunities that have come across my lap, and even this sabbatical offered to me. It is the sheer grace of God that I have had the opportunities I have had and my hope is to be a good steward of them. But, my heart also yearns to create these opportunities for other people.

I want my friends, who live their whole lives serving their local community and giving away what they are blessed with, to be able to travel and see more of the world. I want them to make connections and travel to places where they can tell their stories so that we who have been blessed with material wealth and opportunity can live a little simpler and be part of creating dreams for others. I want my students here to be able to accomplish the dream of seeing other lands and studying overseas. I want my possibilities to be their possibilities. I want my friends who go without food in order to fill other bellies to have enough for themselves and the others they help.

But, I am realizing as I read through "When Helping Hurts" that I have a deeply-ingrained needs-based view of missions and poverty alleviation. According to Corbett and Fikkert, "the goal [of poverty alleviation] is to see people restored to being what God created them to be: people who understand that they are created in the image of God with the gifts, abilities, and capacity to make decisions and to effect change in the world around them; and people who steward their lives, communities, resources, and relationships in order to bring glory to God. These things tend to happen in highly relational, process-focused ministries more than in impersonal product-focused ministries."

I've recently faced the fact that I’m such a product-oriented person. I'm a Robinson, after all. We're hard workers. We're notorious for our work ethics, production, and accomplishments. We pride ourselves in them. Yet, God has drawn me into more relational avenues the last few years, slowly stripping off my obsession with busyness and productivity in order to give me rest and right relationship with Him, myself, and others. In the last two years, it's made me a better, teacher, friend, daughter, sister etc. And, I still have so much to learn. It is, after all, a process.

So, for now, as I pray about what God is teaching me in these 5 months, how He wants me to live back in Canada, and what future role I will have in missions, I'm creating new habits. Instead of going out and buying a new outfit for a newborn, I am crocheting her clothes, making her family a meal, and visiting her in the hospital. Instead of making a monthly commitment to support 5 ministries at a time over here, I'm giving slowly, praying, and asking God how I can continue long-term support and relationship with these ministries. Instead of buying a bunch of new supplies for the school, I'm bringing in a few things that help, but mostly encouraging and building up the teachers in their practice. And, the head teacher is so good at reigning me in and using resources that they already have, in order to put the school’s money toward things we really need.

I am reminded daily of how able, skilled, and hardworking East Africans are. Like I've said in the past, the people at Abba's House take anything they're given and turn it into so much more: their cows give the compound milk and the extra is sold to neighbours; their well not only supplies clean water to them, but also to people in the local community; their land doesn't sit idle, but is used to produce food for the children and provides jobs for locals. With some more time dedicated to building relationships, supporting local teachers and friends as they seek solutions to their problems, and recognizing the assets already readily available in each person I meet, I hope to avoid my default toward paternalism.

Perhaps my greatest contribution to the needs around me can be informing those of you back home of the incredible organizations I have found/have connection with over here. If you’re like me and you’re trying to find a way to be a good steward of your resources or if you want to be involved in global work, whether up close or from afar, may I suggest reading “When Helping Hurts” and praying about what role God is drawing you into first? If you’re interested in researching some incredible organizations, check out the following websites and read about the hearts of those who started them. I dare you not to be moved:

The children’s home I often visit (my home away from home):
http://lovingindeed.com/abbashouse/
The wheelchair distribution I was part of (friends of mine started this organization and I love the advocacy and training they do):
http://fathersheartmobility.org/
This is a friend’s ministry in Uganda. He’s got big plans and passion for his local community.
https://www.acts4uganda.org/


No comments:

Post a Comment